Contest Rules And Regulations
So your script won’t be disqualified, please carefully read and follow the contest rules, regulations, procedures, terms and conditions. If your script is disqualified, you won’t be informed and your entry fee won’t be refunded.
- Length of script MUST BE FIFTEEN (15) PAGES OR LESS in the standard screenplay format. (Scripts 16 pages or more will be disqualified and entry fees won’t be refunded.)
- Scripts must be original screenplays. Scripts must be the sole property of the contest entrant(s). For legal reasons Kansas City Women in Film & Television (KCWIFT) and Kansas City Filmmakers Jubilee/Kansas City FilmFest will accept only original screenplays by copyright holders.
- Only female screenwriters (including all-female teams) may submit scripts of any genre for the $1,000 Best Short Screenplay Prize. Female screenwriters of all ages are welcome to enter.
- Screenwriters of all genders may submit scripts of any genre for the $500 Best Female Protagonist Prize. Screenwriters of all ages are welcome to enter.
- Screenwriters who submit scripts for the Best Short Screenplay and/or Best Female Protagonist categories AND who currently reside in Missouri, Kansas, Iowa or Nebraska are automatically eligible for the $250 Best Heartland Short Screenplay Prize. (Must indicate address on title page; see below.)
- Entry fee is per script. Any female writer who enters the contest is eligible for all 3 prizes for 1 script if she meets all 3 category eligibility requirements.
- Entrant(s) MUST include on the TITLE PAGE:
- Screenwriter name(s)
- Mailing address(es) – street or PO box, city, state, zip
- Email address(es)
- Phone number(s)
- Prize category(ies) you’re vying for: (1) BEST SHORT SCREENPLAY by a female writer or an all-female co-writing team; or (2) BEST FEMALE PROTAGONIST (female and male writers are eligible)
- Information about scripts adapted from or based on others’ works or stories – see below.
- Entrant(s) MUST include the script title on PAGE 1 of the screenplay (above “FADE IN”).
- There is no limit to the number of screenplays a writer may submit. However, a separate entry fee is required for each screenplay and if a previously submitted screenplay is resubmitted, the author(s) must pay additional entry fee(s) for each resubmission, in accordance with the submission deadlines listed here.
- Collaborative work by two or more female writers who share equally in its creation is eligible for the Best Short Screenplay Prize. Collaborative work wherein a female writer partners with a male writer in any capacity is eligible only for the Best Female Protagonist Prize.
- Collaborators’ names must be included during the submission process, and writing partners will divide equally any prize(s) awarded.
- Entries may be adapted from the entrant’s (or entrants’) original work but submissions may not be based, in whole or in part, on any other fiction or nonfiction material, published or unpublished, produced or unproduced, unless the entrant(s) hold(s) a copyright to the original material on which the screenplay is based. If the script is based on a true story, historical or contemporary, that fact MUST appear on the TITLE PAGE and should be noted at the time the script is submitted. (You may provide documentation or documentation may be requested.)
- Scripts must be written or translated into English and may be submitted electronically. All scripts must be emailed in portable document format (PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org, OR submitted through the KC FilmFest submission sites withoutabox.com or filmfreeway.com. Payments will be processed through Withoutabox, FilmFreeway or PayPal. Scripts submitted without an entry fee will not be considered.
- Screenplays NOT adhering to rules and regulations are subject to disqualification at the sole discretion of the judging panel.
- Screenwriters who are disqualified are NOT eligible for refund of any submitted fees.
- KCWIFT reserves the right not to release judges’ comments or the number of scripts received.
- KCWIFT reserves the right not to choose a winner.
- Finalists will be announced in March 2018.
- Finalist scripts of selected categories will be presented in a staged reading at the 2018 Kansas City Filmmakers Jubilee/Kansas City FilmFest. The contest winners of the Best Short Screenplay category, the Best Female Protagonist category, the Best Heartland Short Screenplay, and an Audience Choice Award (chosen from finalists whose scripts are part of the live staged reading) will be announced at the KCWIFT/KC FilmFest Short Screenplay Contest ceremony. KC FilmFest will be April 11-15, 2018.
- These people are ineligible to enter the contest:
- Current and past members of the KCWIFT board of directors who served, are serving or will serve during the 2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-28 terms, as well as their family members
- Contest judges and readers for the 2018 KCWIFT & Kansas City FilmFest Short Screenplay Contest, as well as their family members.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
KCWIFT and Kansas City Filmmakers Jubilee/Kansas City FilmFest are hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any script submitted and accepted for promotional purposes.
Due to the volume of submissions, KCWIFT will NOT return copies of submitted scripts. KCWIFT will request and is hereby granted the right to use footage from the project funded and created from the winning screenplay for promotional purposes related to KCWIFT and the KCWIFT & Kansas City FilmFest Short Screenplay Contest. This includes but is not limited to the KCWIFT and the Kansas City Filmmakers Jubilee/Kansas City FilmFest websites, screenings, and social media platforms.
Neither KCWIFT nor Kansas City Filmmakers Jubilee/Kansas City FilmFest holds any ownership rights to projects completed as a result of the KCWIFT & Kansas City FilmFest Short Screenplay Contest, nor are KCWIFT and Kansas City Filmmakers Jubilee/Kansas City FilmFest responsible for projects’ production, promotion or distribution.